Stress, illness, and age can disrupt beneficial microflora in the horse’s gastrointestinal tract. To remedy these disruptions, pro and prebiotics may be used. Probiotics are substances which stimulate the growth of microorganisms in the intestinal flora, especially those with beneficial properties. The main purpose of adding such supplements to feeds is to keep the hindgut stabilised.
It’s important to note that a high-grain, high-concentrate, low-fiber diet is also hard on microbes in the hindgut. This type of diet has a more negative impact than anything else.
Prebiotics are a newer concept than probiotics. These are not microbes, but inert ingredients that help microbial populations in the hindgut remain stable and healthy.
Pre and probiotics can be helpful in keeping the gut healthy.
Gastralign combines three key ingredients that can be helpful to keep the gastrointestinal system healthy:
- Yea Sacc, a probiotic live yeast culture based on Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain 1026
- Bio-Mos, a prebiotic derived from yeast cell walls
- Allzyme SSF, a complex of naturally occurring enzymes
Gastralign aims to:
- improve the bioavailability of the diet
- Support greater fibre digestion
- improve absorption of phosphorus and calcium
- boost natural immunity
- reduce damage to the gastrointestinal tract
- Binds to negative bacteria preventing its absorption
- Support normal digestive function during times of stress, worming & antibiotics
Dosage is 25 grams per day